Monday, February 17, 2020

Silver Linings

I looked in the mirror the other day, pondering when it was time to get my next highlight appointment with my beautician (who happens to be my newly-minted niece). I did a double-take as it seemed as if my hair was fresh from the salon. I checked my calendar to see when my last appointment was. It made no sense. It should be growing out by now. It was really early in the morning, the room was rather dark...the light of day finally revealed the truth: I went silver almost overnight! 

These crazy young folks are paying big bucks these days to get their hair "silvered." At first I thought it was awful, but then I started to see the beauty in it. Then there was some lady touting makeup for mature women. She had silver hair too and was gorgeous. My husband has always begged me to grow my hair out. It's already to my shoulders, but apparently men think their wives should keep the hairstyle they had when they were 21 and new brides. He has repeatedly asked me to quit highlighting my hair. "Let it go natural," he says. When natural is the color of dishwater and as limp as a noodle, Mama hoofs it to town to get some light and texture in there. I told him years ago, it was either highlights or a permanent. He opted for the highlights. I still shudder at the Poodle Years. I've been a happy camper, staying the perpetual blonde of my youth. This puzzling new development has left me perplexed. How did it happen that quick? Why did it happen? Am I missing crucial minerals or vitamins? I'm eating really good stuff right now, with no processed or artificial food. My fingernails are coming in like horse hooves and I feel like a million bucks. So why the emptying-out of all that color? I read in the Scriptures where it says, "Gray (silver) hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life." Hey, I might just take that one. Old age doesn't mean wisdom, necessarily. Well-worn paths can also be considered ruts, but it depends on whose wagon you're following. 

I remember the hoary heads of so many of the people I have loved, with the wish of just one more chance to kiss those dear faces. What I didn't know was that some of them were still ten years old inside and had no clue that they were old. Others gave up early and hung up their boots while they were still supple. Nothing can stop the march of time, but we can laugh at the future and not live in fear. For me, that is only possible because I know the One who holds my hand. 




No comments:

Post a Comment