Monday, January 27, 2020

The Good Fight

If there's anything I've learned these last couple of years, it's that there's a time to fight and there's a time to surrender. When I was young, I was content being obedient to the authorities over me. Secure, happy, free. My world was a safe place. After the very naive years came the gradual encroachment of what it meant to fight, to face the challenges of life with strength. I was blessed to have folks who taught me how to box in life's ring, to rise above what I thought I was capable of. My parents, teachers, coaches, relatives who loved me...though looking back, I know that my Dad and Mom were marching to the beat of a different drum. They were not willing to sashay through this world without some sort of fortitude behind them. They appeared simple, but there were always noble purposes behind their actions. Nothing was done lightly -- their rules were few but profoundly enforced. I don't think they ever realized the beautiful wake they were leaving behind them. Through their uncomplicated and transparent lives, they changed the world. No magazine covers or paparazzi, just the profound influence that good people can have on those coming behind.

Surrender may be the hardest part of all. I have a bad tooth, don't ask me why. I have always been faithful to brush and floss and see the dentist. But I have a big ole molar that's gotta come out sooner than later. That's irrevocable. You can't re-grow those things. There will be a giant gap back in there that will take thousands of dollars to dress up with a fake tooth that will probably always feel weird. I was struck with the fact that there are plenty of things that start going downhill when you start wearing out. Going downhill is bad enough, but when it's just over, that's another thing. There's no pushups or supplements to fix it. Life is like that. There's a day, whether it's quick or super slow, when we're going to die. Irrevocable. There's often a lot of sluggish increments in between hearty and our demise. Here's to sucking the marrow out of each and every one of them. I don't think I'm inclined to go gently into that night, even though I'm gonna wake up like a new penny on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment