Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Just Idling on By

I didn't plan on working this hard, this far down the line. I figured by now I'd be eating bon-bons and taking bubble baths. I also didn't know that when you finally had the chance to get a good night's sleep after raising all those kids, your body just said naw. I just love sleeping a few hours, waking up like a squirrel, only to figure out it's 3:00 in the morning. By the time I've cleaned out the pantry, surfed the internet, read half a novel and finally gotten back to slumber, it's time to wake up again. But hey, I'm still breathing. 

There's nothing like coming up with a brilliant idea and then having to wait for the rest of the world to wake up so you can tell everybody. That's why they invented Facebook. We can put all our goodies out there for everyone to see. Our narcissism has reached new heights, where we throw our private lives onto the world stage where no one's really paying attention. They're all too busy updating their own pages. But then again, I do run into old friends along the way and they go on and on about our stunning grandbabies. They really are the most wonderful ones in the world. That breeding program we started way back in 1982 is turning out pretty good. It's not fair to the rest of the world.

I'm trying to figure out how to have a summer. It's already sweltering and there's no pool out back. At night I've got three fans blowing so I can try to sleep. Meanwhile, Ken's nose is peeking out from under a quilt. The tax man is looming and I've got my nose to the grindstone. I keep a notepad by the bed so I can write all the things down that wake me up. Life's hard and then you die. If I thought that was all there was, there's no telling what gutter I might end up in. As it is, it's 2:54 a.m. My heart fills with the sweetness of God's gracious gifts as I sit here and pray and muse for my people and the others that He brings across my brain. "There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells." Psalm 46:4. 

It's a sweet river, cooling off my hot messes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment