Monday, March 5, 2018

Time To Turn Over an Old Leaf

Spring is coming, I just know it. My husband had to break down and cut the grass last weekend. I came home from an appointment to see the jeweled-green lawn shining, with that cucumber-melon smell that you can't bottle or even describe properly. Last year, some other fella was cutting it for us, something we have never paid anyone to do. By season's end it looked shabby and unkempt. Ken has always trimmed things so beautifully, I used to call it "KenLawn" when he got through. Well, we bought a nice, used lawnmower to replace last year's dead one and Ken's back in business. Hallelujah.

Our Victorian home needs a yard revival. Frank, next door, said I needed hydrangeas, so that's what's gonna happen. We'll get these fountains rejuvenated and the pond hoppin' with some new plants before Easter. My birthday is in April, so happy birthday to me. Sometimes when I stop and think about how God does everything in cycles, I also believe that we should do the same. Not everything has to happen all the time. There's a time for work, for rest, for renewal, for building up, for tearing down. I guess this is my annual spring Ecclesiastes 3 reminder ("To everything, turn, turn...there is a season, turn, turn, turn...") Speaking of that, I need to go shovel all that dead stuff in the pots over so we can get started on the new ones. But not until after the freeze we are certain to have next week. I knew an old farmer who wouldn't plant a thing until May, given Georgia's penchant for crazy weather. I'm just hoping my banana tree and that other strange tree I planted last year made it through the winter. I can already see my Confederate Jasmine waking up...I'm hoping we'll get some climbing up the columns this year. And all that gorgeous Creeping Fig I planted by the wall had better get crackin' or I'm going to weep, for sure. I've got to get me a Charleston-lookin' wall somewhere on this property.

I don't have a clue about how they decide on what day is Easter...and who decides that, but I always love musing on that time of year. It's my favorite holiday, because it's all about the redemption of my depraved soul. The most hopeful day of all. It's appropriately on April 1 this time. I love it, April Fool's Day! I told my pastor that I think Jesus really did come to save the scumbags, the fools of this world and he laughed and agreed. God's Word is precious: "For you see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; and base things of the world, and things which are despised, has God chosen, yes, and things which are not, to bring to nothing things that are." I Corinthians 1:26-28. And the earth just keeps on turning....

No comments:

Post a Comment