Sunday, July 30, 2017

Makin' Money Right Now...

I can't sleep tonight because I'm so excited about tomorrow. Some fella is coming to pressure wash the house! Pa and Liz moved all the furniture off the porches onto the grass. I'm going to take a truckload of pillows to the laundromat while Joe Ray is squirtin' off the siding. We normally do things like that ourselves, but I got tired of waiting, had a nice closing last week and decided to hire somebody to do it for us. 

I've been thinking about that a lot lately -- hiring somebody besides ourselves to do things. I have a cousin who's a doctor, who's married to a doctor. They've got lots of loose cash and live way up north. They're putting in a $50,000 pool. My Mama thinks that's plum shameful, shelling out that much money for a concrete pond. I think it's awesome. Too bad they don't live down here where they might actually use one of those (and I might get invited over). I told Mama that they are contributing to the economy, buying that pool. The contractor, employees, concrete guys, and the landscaper are all feeding their families this summer because people like Mikey buy their goods and services. He worked hard getting that education and works hard helping sick people get better every day. If he wants to buy the North Pole, it's his money and he should spend it how he wants. He's greasing the wheels of commerce, plus his kids get to jump in a pool. Good for him.

It's hard for me to pay someone to do something that I know I could do myself. But this guy can do it quicker, he has all the equipment (whereas we'd have to rent it), and my joints are protesting the gravity right now. He's a firefighter. Those guys almost always have to work second jobs to make ends meet. I'm praising the Lord I get to help him with that tomorrow and praising the Lord I don't have to do it myself. I'll stay inside in the air conditioning, make him some tea and work on making money with my phone and computer. 

I hear people complaining about the wealthy, about how they ought to pay more taxes. I say, leave the moneyed people alone and let them do what they do: employ other people, build buildings and businesses, create jobs and spin ideas, and generally buy lots of stuff. I've labored in many a well-heeled person's home, painting their walls and ceilings and translating their ideas onto canvases. Long live the rich people. And thank the Lord for good work.


No comments:

Post a Comment