Sunday, September 16, 2012

Why it's not a good idea to take a long nap on Sunday...

What a truly blissful week this has been! The weather is not to be believed....so we have taken most of our meals outdoors on the back or front porches. There are really only a few days a year that are like this....so I want to savor them. I've been burning citronella candles like crazy, to keep the mosquitoes away. That's what I'm telling everybody. But really I think that candles are romantic and beautiful, so I use any excuse to burn them. What is it about a flickering flame? It makes you breathe deeper and slow down.

Okay, so I bought a new vacuum cleaner. My word, this is awesome! My old one was several years old. Poor baby, it had numerous problems:
-  one of the wheels fell off. I had it stuck in a closet but kept forgetting to put it back on. Actually, I think it was broken anyway. 
-  to keep the power nozzle hooked to the handle, I had to twist a fat bungee cord around it
-  it had a peculiar smell, sort-of like burnt hair
-  Ken recently had to replace the plug-in part because I've been known to just step on that smart little thing that causes the plug to retract (without actually unplugging the machine) -- it whips around and pulls the cord out without me having to do it myself. Hmmmm. Ken was/is not thrilled with these kinds of methods.
- when I would clean out the small filter, I would go outside and tap it on a tree....okay, well, beat it on a tree. Otherwise it just didn't seem to get very clean. It was starting to look pretty rough.
- and last, but not least, it had taken to shocking me when I plugged in the power nozzle. I would try to muster through that, but when flames starting coming out of it, I thought I might ought to surrender it to the landfill.  

So, since we're doing Dave Ramsey and budgeting and all that, we waited. And waited. I was still using the bare-floor attachment, but the rugs around here were looking pretty sad. So this was the week. I did my research on vacuum cleaners, cheap ones...and ultimately found one that seemed to dance and sing and do the dishes as well as vacuum. I ordered it and found it on our porch late Friday night, about midnight. 

So at midnight Ken puts it together and I'm vacuuming rugs. After just three rugs, a red light starts beeping on the vacuum cleaner. It's defective! But no, I checked it and the whole sucker is FULL of dust, after only three rugs. I emptied it then vacuumed three more rugs....again, full of dust. This vacuum cleaner was practically pulling me across the floor, it has so much suction.

There are so many things in life that don't work, or take too long, or really stink. It's fantabulously fun when it turns out awesome, at least for today. Now I'm just hoping that the old vacuum cleaner doesn't have the means to communicate with the new one.... or that there are no laws against vacuum cleaner abusers.    




2 comments:

  1. Did you know that I love you? It's true. You're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Sister, I love you too. You are precious and I miss you.

      Delete