Tuesday, August 15, 2023

A Night on the Town

When my folks rented my first flute all those decades ago (from Ken Stanton -- $5 a month!), I never imagined I would still be playing it in 2023. Heck, back then I would think about the year 2000...and the fact that I would be 40 years old that year. When you're young, you think that 40 is decrepit. Mind you, that was back when the Beatles were telling us that you can't trust anyone over the age of 30. Now I can say resolutely that each decade has its joys and sorrows, and the more life layers I have, the richer life is. 

I have played at school, at church, in community bands...but in 2014, when I was introduced to the Carrollton Wind Ensemble, lead by our fearless Maestro Terry Lowry, I was in for the treat of my life. Where I had been able to wing it most Sundays and in other groups, only occasionally practicing, this group had serious goals in mind. Suddenly I had to hunker down and figure out those scales that I had neglected since high school. We play an eclectic mix of music, from Big Band to classical to show tunes to movie soundtracks and then there's the marches in July. Easy is not how this is described. We rehearse every Tuesday night for 2+ hours and for around 10-1/2 months out of the year. I know it might sound agonizing, but for us musicians, it's not. If this is torture, chain us to the wall. All the challenges and pressures of learning amazing music has been such a joy (even when I complain to all my loved ones). This is good for my brain and for my fingers that constantly threaten to rust over. We do concerts numerous times a year, often at the Center for the Arts in Carrollton. This group is a hidden gem; once folks find us, they become fans. Tickets are cheap or free, and we've been known to sell out before our concerts (follow us on Facebook at Carrollton Wind Ensemble). I feel extremely privileged to be able to play with this bunch of amazing artists. 

Ciao! Our ensemble has been invited to play four concerts in Italy next June: Rome, Venice and Florence are on the agenda.  The tour's mission is to offer music-making to refugees from war-torn areas around the world. Through benefit concerts and music camps, we will bring the healing power of music into the lives of adults and children whose lives have been devastated by war in their homeland.  

To support the costs associated with this endeavor, we invite you to La Dolce Vita, a throwback to 1950's cool, on August 26, 2023, at The Carrollton Train Depot on Bradley Street. It will be a semi-formal evening of dinner and dancing, with live entertainment provided by Ten 'til Swing, The Haberdashers, and Timothy Miller (who sings "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch at Atlanta Braves home games). There will also be brief live and silent auctions during the evening that will feature a Bourbon Maestro Dinner for Six, a vacation home getaway, a custom tuxedo or tailored suit from Threads Custom Tailoring, services and packages from many area businesses, as well as artwork from local artists. This is also an opportunity for your business to donate your services or items to assist in this fundraiser. All donations and their sources will be listed in the program for the evening. Any support would be greatly appreciated.  

Please join us for this unique evening and help the Carrollton Wind Ensemble represent our community to the world. Individual tickets are $100 each. We will deliver your tickets to you if you are interested. Please let us know if you can join us! Checks should be made payable to: Carroll Symphony Orchestra. Memo: Carrollton Wind Ensemble/La Dolce Vita, P.O. Box 1756, Carrollton, GA 30112.   - Or - you can pay by Venmo: https://venmo.com/carrollsymphonyorchestra

I hope to see you there. Now I better get myself to the gym...I'm getting ready for the hills of Italy. Arrivederci! 




No comments:

Post a Comment