Monday, January 23, 2023

All Coupled Up

It's not spring (well, at least not today...a couple of days ago, my daffodils were poking their heads out of the ground and now it's freezing), but it's time to bring out the cleaning supplies. One of our dear sons and his family have been living with us for over a year while they build their house. They moved out last week, to go on an extended camping trip while they finish the rest of it. Who does that?! (Us, we did it for two years with our four kids). After they left, I walked through their section of the house.  Everything was clean, quiet, and bare. Ken liked the vibe so much, he called a family meeting, with just me and him. We made a big list of all the projects that were unfinished around here and vowed to follow through. Saturday was gleeful as we began to work. There's nothing like decluttering and cleaning to put a pep in your step. I think we've been treading water for nigh on a year, in some kind of holding pattern. We've tried to empty this nest more than once: all three boys married and Liz was off to college; you could hear a pin drop. She graduated and moved back home, so we had another few years with her. Marcus strolled in and married her away. We had about a year and a half of still, quiet mornings before Daniel and Jessica and their two children moved in, ever mindful of our privacy, but the pitter-patter of little feet was heard once again. I'm already missing those sweet hugs. 

This week was a rediscovery of that man I live with. We talked more than we have in months, made plans, laughed, dug a few ditches. I think we had been holding back, but no more. I almost feel guilty, but I'm gonna let that pass. Meanwhile, I'm already decluttering and finishing those half-baked projects that have been looming. It's not spring, but I feel like taking down the cobwebs. It all makes me remember our early days of marriage, when Ken worked nights and I worked days. The quiet house gave me much to think about, and I dreamed of us starting a family and filling up the spaces. It flashed by in a wink, and now we are on the other side, watching our people fan out like eagles with their own nests. 

When we had a boatload of kids in tow, I was often asked when we were going to stop, or why were we having so many kids. God gave us four and we'd have taken more, if He'd have given them to us. There were those who were critical of our choices, right to my face. Overpopulation! How are you going to pay for them?! But God's economy says: "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth." Psalm 127:3,4. And then there's grandchildren...

But I have to admit, it sure is nice to nest right on up with my honey sugar pie, just me and him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment