Monday, July 6, 2020

Essential Oil

There's a passage in the Bible, where God tells Elijah He's about to pass by. A terrible wind comes, tearing the mountains and shattering the rocks. But God's not in the wind. Then there's an earthquake, but He's not there either. A vicious fire comes raging through but the Almighty isn't in it. Then comes a gentle whisper, a still, small voice. And that's where He is. 

As I sit here tonight in my very quiet, very still house, my brain slows down like the last gasp of a wind tunnel. Most of the folk that would pull at me are now asleep or at least occupied. My phone is on Do Not Disturb, unless you're my Mama or my kids. There's not enough time to really sleep good before it cranks up again. 

How much I have neglected the higher thoughts, the noble ones that God calls us with...where we put ourselves off the throne and listen, just listen. The whisper. It's so profound, you can't hear it unless you stop. Stop whining, stop worrying, stop marching to the tyranny of the urgent. There's always so many things we should be doing, so many things we are not. The cacophony of the rat race is making us deaf. Even with months of solitude, we're face-planted and mired in the next bit of shallow hoopla served up by our phones and TVs.

The air is sweet, heavy and cool tonight. The dew is thick on the grass and the night creatures are humming. I envy my dog's complete abandon to the floor at my feet. But then, there's His still, small voice. At once both a calling and a surrender. It's what's at the end of things, a sort-of parting of the waters. What happens when we allow ourselves to go there, to bypass the other voices, to lay them down, to just be at peace? This world of chaos wants to stir, to agitate, to ignite. But the ways of God bid us to be still, to ponder, to call upon "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise. Think on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

My heart's gone a little rusty and needs some old-fashioned Holy Ghost anointing. Think on these things...

No comments:

Post a Comment