Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Easter Thoughts in the Valley

I awaken and hear the birds carrying on with a massive party. The scent of fresh-mown grass wafts in at the window. I open up the house, though I shouldn't because the pollen is over 4000 today. I just can't resist. The sweet breeze and the dulcet tones make me hopeful, remind me of a precious childhood not long ago. I know I cling too tightly to this earth, but it's what I can see. "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible." Hebrews 11:1-3. The invisible, mysterious forces behind creation and behind the unknown... we think we understand stuff, but how little we do. If I took a lifetime, I'd never read all the books in our little Villa Rica library. Why do I think I can fathom the depths of God, His ways and mercy? His Word is my anchor and my food and drink, however. Every time I dip in, I marvel at its rich truth, new every morning. It's unlike any and all the books I've ever read (which are considerable). It seems like a diamond, with different facets each way I turn it, relevant for any situation, season or trial I come upon. Ageless, timeless, pertinent right now-- come joys, sorrows, death or babies. I've been young and now am getting old, but I've never seen the righteous forsaken. 

Our cats are very excited because we are spending a lot of unhurried porch time with them. The bumblebees are curious and looking diligently for a weak spot in the fascia. There's a new litter of something in the old fireplace beside me, scratching and making me nervous. It's taking every ounce of my resolve to keep from getting another puppy. Spring does that to you, this year more than most. I'm praying more often for my dear grandchildren, scattered to their various homes. Our normal Easter egg hunt and ridiculously-unhealthy baskets will have to wait. I'm mailing them chocolate, but it's gonna be a week late. The grown children will have to be disappointed (can you believe they still expect an Easter basket?!) 

Meanwhile, I've noticed that the earth keeps turning and the moon keeps coming up. The birds and animals are cranking out eggs and babies. The sky is still and bluer than usual, with less pollution covering it up. I know we are hurting, but I also know that we will be ready to work after our extended vacation. "I will life up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help." Psalms 121

No comments:

Post a Comment