Monday, March 9, 2020

Where's Mama?

If I can't get my Mama on her house phone, I call her cellphone. I'll wait 30 minutes or an hour, then do it again. If that doesn't raise her, I call my sister. And then my brother. They both live within about ten minutes of her. If much time at all goes by, one of us will head over there. She'll have her hearing aids off or she's not home, headed to Emerson to eat lunch at Doug's Place with her friend Sally. Today when we started the calling drill, we were all about frantic. Then I remembered she was at the AARP, getting her taxes done. Much later, she started calling my phone every few minutes. I was on a conference call and couldn't answer. Turn about's fair play. We get all aggravated but then relieved that she's just living her life. 

Speaking of the phone, I hate wasting time. When I crank up my car, I'm slipping those earbuds in and making my calls. Why wait until I'm sitting around to do it? Might as well multi-task. I live in my car a lot, buzzing from property to property, shopping, running errands and who knows what else. I have a hard time understanding why moving right into the middle of town made no difference in my mileage. Thankfully, Ken keeps our vehicles oiled up and they last forever. Maybellene, why can't you be true? I fear the people who sold me this last cream puff of a Ford Explorer would be horrified if they saw how many miles and bread crumbs have accumulated in it. But I sure love her candle-apple-red party suit.

Life is whizzing by. I'll soon be to my sixtieth birthday, but I honestly feel like my fortieth was last summer. I remember the pink outfit I had on, and how fun it was. Some days I still get a little scared when people talk about being adultish...I might have to do that someday and it frightens me. Then I remember my age and my Daddy saying that he didn't like old people (I believe he was 78 when he said that). If you concentrate on that (being old), you might just get there. So for now, I'm gonna light my strawberry lemonade candle and think about puppies. Good night and sweet dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment