Monday, December 9, 2019

Papa Bear Hits One Out of the Park

I think instead of letting me grieve to death (from losing our precious Zoe recently), my dear husband decided to let me have another puppy. There will never be another Zoe. She was as perfect a dog and companion as I could ever have had the luck to experience. But our hearts are so down, every time we open the door to our empty house. The yard feels wrong, without our special dog circling and rolling around in it. I blow a kiss to her grave each time I pass it; the sheer emptiness brings me to tears most days. I know that a puppy can't replace her, but Merry Christmas from Papa Bear and I am on pins and needles until this one gets here.

I said I'd never have a boy dog, but when the litter had two (already claimed) girls and seven boys, my mind began to wander and weaken. They named the boys from my favorite musical: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! Adam, Ben, Caleb, Daniel, Ephraim, Frank (short for Frankincense) and Gideon.  These puppies are related to my Zoe by blood (their grandma is Zoe's sister)... The Aussie-vixen-lady sent me pictures of the cute, bear-cub-looking boys, talked about their personalities and their natures. But I wasn't getting a boy, so I don't know what she thought she was doing. There was one of them, very big, with a boxy head, Daniel. Did she know I'm a sucker for Nordic-looking men? She's never even seen Ken. He was super cute but I couldn't pick that one. I already have a son named Daniel. My other kids would think I was playing favorites. I stared and stared at the pictures and then another name popped into my head. I could rename him Jack! Then I was in trouble, because all I could think of was a cute Australian Shepherd that looked like a baby bear and his name was Jack. Who in the world could resist that?

So the breeder (greatoaksaussies.com) told me they were having open house, where we could visit the pups. My Mama wanted to go, and then 6-year old Annabelle jumped on the bandwagon too. Liz drove us two hours to Homer, Georgia, which is like heaven on earth, up to this old, renovated farmhouse with all the darling outbuildings and fences, plus a pile of lovey-dovey Aussies and that litter of puppies. We snuggled and cooed with that baby, then had to force ourselves to leave. Later that night, Annabelle kept saying, "Yaya, I just can't stop thinking about the puppy! Why can't you bring him home now?!" No kidding...

He can't come home until after Christmas, but here's to my ultimate childhood dream revisiting me at pert near 60 years old. Hurry up Santa!

1 comment:

  1. Hello sister Rosie. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in the Word of God. It was interesting to go through your blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengrhened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ tobring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young andthe adults fromthe west to come to Mumbai to work with during their vacation time. We would love to have your grown up children to come to Mumbai to work with usduring their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God'srichest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you and your famiy a blessed and a joyous Christmas season and a bright and a Christ centered rest of the coming New year 2020. My email id is:dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete