Monday, October 21, 2019

A Good Dog

She came to me as a 10-week old puppy. Bouncing, beautiful Australian Shepherd. Seriously the most perfect dog I've ever known. She's too smart for the rest of us...she knows what it means when we spell "Chicken"- "Snack" - "Potty" and even "Bath." When folks visit, they leave the house and believe that Zoe loves them the most. I had a friend who is intensely afraid of dogs come calling one day. She asked me to put her up in the laundry room, but I didn't. By the time she left, she had decided that if I ever needed a home for Zoe, she wanted her to come live with her. Zoe has one flaw...she is jealous of the grandkids, enjoys licking their faces and also loves to steal their food. This has caused some drama around here but hey, she never poops in the house.

She came down sick last week, ending up at the vet for days and then exploratory surgery this morning. We have no answers at the moment, and only time and the will of God will tell us if she's going to make it. I've had some good dogs in my life, some great ones...but she takes the cake. She is as devoted as a soldier on duty. When I leave the house, I'm told she waits by the door for me. Leaving her at that place without being able to fully explain to her why, is breaking my heart.  I went up there today for a bit, just to see her and try to tell her, a dog, that I love her and that I'm praying for her. She kept going to the clinic door and looking back, wanting to go home. How can we bear it?

There is nothing like the heart of a good dog. Their unconditional love and steadfast presence are things that man has depended on since he lived in caves. They protect us, provide companionship, get us outside of ourselves, even. We raised our children surrounded by them, teaching them early a bit about what it means to be a parent, to be responsible for taking care of a weaker animal. We've all waxed sentimental about puppy breath and all the great dogs we've been privileged to have. But there's none like Zoe. If God only means for me to have her these seven years, I will thank Him for all of those days that we had. Then I imagine I will grieve for her the rest of mine. But just maybe, He'll give me (and us) a few more. Praying tonight for that, with a boatload of tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment