Tuesday, September 24, 2019

October on the Horizon

The trees are just plumb weary out in my yard. The green leaves are hanging on for all they're worth, some of them yellowing and falling already. They want to believe it's still summer, but us humans are begging for fall. I simply love the days where I can open up my doors and windows, with just our big screen door between me and the porch. Ken rescued it from the barn -- over a hundred years old -- and fixed it up real nice for the house. I can't tell you how much I love that thing, especially when a grandchild bangs it on the way in or out. Once in a while, I can barely hear the drums playing at the football field from across town. There will be just a tiny lowering of temperatures and we're all throwing open our bins of fall decorations. I have a whole closet of scarves that I look at every year, beautiful warm colors that would go fabulously on that outfit. I look, but don't actually use them. When there finally is a cold snap, I forget to throw one on. I end up in front of Sassy Ladies boutique, freezing, wondering how Yankees do this stuff.

Please don't hate me if you are a Yankee. It's not your fault. I'm half Yankee too, bless my heart. 

Our little town, with the high school band playing, the new cute shops popping up all over, a craft brewery coming on in, the yummy restaurants, the kind people, the occasional cobblestone revealed...it's a sweet place to live. I think we can fit everybody - the old folks, the young ones, heck, even the hipsters. I actually know my neighbors in our borough. I'm a realtor and I try to get all my buyers to move here. Why wouldn't they? October is a-coming, the best thing on the calendar since Easter. I'm thinking of all the iconic things -- cider, Indian corn, pumpkins, football games, myriads of leaves falling. And this year, I believe we've got a bumper crop of pecans. That means I'll have to go into retirement for a month to get them all picked up. Sit a spell and get crackin'. I never knew what that meant until we inherited two of the biggest pecan trees known to man. 

Next month is everything good in the world. It's when several of our grands were born, two of our sons were married, my Grandma's birthday, the month we got engaged, and the month that Jesus rescued me. Now if He would send some rain and cooler temperatures right on down, it'd be perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment