Monday, August 5, 2019

Stomp That Sucker Flat

We put our palms together, hugged, laughed and sent blessings out the door. I felt like I had just experienced a little glimpse of heaven.

I did not know her until that day. She was one of the employees at the doctor's office. I had been back and forth from the waiting room to the various places you go when you get worked on. The nurse's station. The little patient room. The waiting room again. The bathroom. Waiting room. The lab. I felt like I had been there all day (maybe I had). Either way, she and I laughed as I tramped by her desk numerous times. I commented on her bling-y, marvelous eyeglasses and her scrumptious jewelry. Finally, I was done and headed out the door. She walked out beside me, to see what the weather was doing before she left for lunch. I was the only one left there. We talked about the sky. Then we talked about the beauty of God's amazing earth and the impossibility of it, which turned into more talk about His amazing grace. If we had had just a teench more time, we might have started shouting hallelujah, the thread of Christian sisterhood golden. We spoke of the difference in our races, then declared triumph between us of our one blood, our cousinhood reaching back to Adam. We agreed not to hate and to reach across. We got off the boat with Noah and stomped on the devil's head right then and there. 

I know it's all a lot more complicated than we can imagine, and we've got a long way to go. But God's grace can get us where we need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment