Sunday, May 26, 2019

Lord Help Us, It's Only May

It's sweltering out there. We got back from two weeks at the beach to find summer already cooking my ferns. I have a lovely fountain in the side yard -- it sounds delicious, refreshing. The sun's already evaporating it so bad, I have to lug five gallons of water a day out to it, to keep the pump from seizing up. Might be the only exercise I get all day. I find myself having little accidents, just so the water'll slurp onto my clothes and keep me cool all morning. And doggone it, it's only May. 

We are plumb spoiled. I grew up without air conditioning in Powder Springs, in one of those brick ranch easy-bake-ovens. Little tiny windows, low ceilings, four-sided brick that held all that heat all day so it could release it all night... That just ain't right. Our old house here in Villa Rica is built for the South -- if you could actually open the windows, you would get an east/west breeze blowing right through. I've always painted my own houses, but I succumbed a couple of years ago and hired a crew to do the rest of the outside. I was busy and didn't remind them not to paint the windows shut. But it's already too hot now for breezes or fans or open windows, even if the paint wasn't sticking. I'm sneaking in the middle of the night to bump the air conditioning down. We're peeling off clothes and embarrassing the neighbors. I'm banking on the Farmer's Almanac. It said that we're going to have a hot May, followed by a cooler summer. Please be right. I don't have a pond, concrete or otherwise, that's big enough to hold us all. 




No comments:

Post a Comment