Monday, December 17, 2018

Bonnie and Clyde and the Getaway Car

My neighbor had an intruder the other night. It's got us all scared out of our wits. The guy is now in jail, so why are we worried about the locks now? Just kidding, of course we need to lock up. It's the year 2018 and it's better to be safe than sorry. But it reminds me of something that happened to me one day in Villa Rica, just a few years back...

I was out walking the dog on a balmy, spring day. A lady sashayed by the house and we said hello to each other. She  asked if I could do her a favor. "If I can, I will," I said. She told me that her car had been impounded and she needed to go to the bank to get some money, in order to get her car back. We are only a half mile away from the bank, but she wondered if I could drive her over there. I didn't know her from Adam's housecat, but I said yes. I said I had to run inside and get my purse. Before I could say Jack Sprat, she ran right on in behind me. She virtually sprinted all over my house in a flash. My trusty dog didn't take kindly to it and began to growl lightly at her. She asked if the dog would bite her. I said I wasn't sure, but not to be trying to come around without us here. That was probably a good thing to say.

I whipped up my things and we headed to town. I pulled into the bank parking lot and she hopped out of the car, leaving her purse laying beside me. She stated that they knew her there and she didn't need her ID. I thought that was odd, because my bank knows me too but I still have to show them my driver's license, even after twenty years of banking there. She was gone a few minutes and came out with a roll of money. It rather looked like a fat sandwich, it was so thick. She said to drive to Main Street and just drop me in front of the police station. I never did see her go in. The whole business took maybe ten minutes, but I learned many things about this lady in that time. Things that might make your hair curl or your Mama blush. I told her I'd pray for her and that I hoped she'd get her car back.

When Ken got home that night, he scolded me for picking up strangers. I guess it did seem sketchy, but I thought it went okay (well, except for the hair curling. Oh yeah, and the casing of the house and all). And I did still wonder about that bank scenario. A few days went by and as I was looking at the newspaper, I saw that this same girl was wanted in connection with a robbery. There had been a man involved as well, but they had caught him and he was in custody. I called the police station and told them my story. He said to quit picking up strangers and did I know where she was now? I most certainly did not. But as I hung up the phone, I had a slight suspicion that has nagged me ever since. Is it just possible that I was the getaway car?

No comments:

Post a Comment