Monday, April 9, 2018

Some Thanksgiving in the Spring

Who has blessed me? Who has died to themselves to benefit my life? My mother -- who nourished me in her womb and then raised me right as a baby, toddler, teenager. She gave up her life, in many ways, to tend to mine. My father -- who strapped his boots on every day to go to a job he did not necessarily enjoy, but he sure did delight in us and the pride of taking care of his family. My grandmothers -- who stopped what they were doing to sit down and ask me about my life, to listen and love unconditionally. My in-laws -- who truly taught me and filled in so many gaps in my life. My teachers -- who showed care and trained me to read, write, and cipher and how to shoulder the hard things when the going got rough. My coaches (including my Daddy) -- who pushed me beyond what I thought I could do. My two siblings -- who gave me grace when I didn't deserve it, who let me vent and laugh and rest in their acceptance. My friends -- who have been there even when time slipped away and I took them for granted. My pastors -- who have stayed true, noble, steadfast. My husband -- who gets the worst of my sass yet loves me tender. My children and daughters-in-love -- who gave me the greatest purpose of all and now bless me with their good hearts and their babies. My colleagues and clients -- who trusted me with their projects and put food on our table. My neighbors -- who have been salt-of-the-earth decent. 

So many blessings, people who have showered us when we married, had babies, were sick, had deaths. It would take volumes to write down all that we have received from myriads of folk, without expectation of a return. The goodness of God in the land of the living. It's easy to forget those parts, for some reason. Shame on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment