Tuesday, January 9, 2018

It's Winter, Always Winter, and Christmas is Already Over

The fog snuck in overnight, enveloping the back yard. The wise, old pecan tree was buoyed up like it was in a cloud. I love to look up into her lovely branches and imagine all the things she has seen. We've had a long, really cold spell of weather this year. Thankfully there was no precipitation this week or we might have been in trouble again. But maybe it's killed all the bugs and my peonies might actually bloom next spring. Winter is barely tolerated here in the South. We usually have spits and starts of cold days, interspersed with times of balmy weather. It's dreary, wet and miserable. By February, I'm almost insane. That also happens to be our anniversary month, so Ken hauls me off to some other Southern town for a long weekend. We do tours of historic homes, eat a lot, and snuggle up for a few days. It helps get us through to March, when the lion roars and eventually the lamb arrives. Then Easter comes, praise the Lord. Easter is way better than Christmas. Less fuss and more promise. I need to quit thinking about it. My Christmas tree is still up, for heaven's sake.

I've been painting this week, two projects -- my daughter's renovated bathroom and about to start on our new bed that I bought on Facebook marketplace for $100. It's not actually new. It's the same bed we have had for the last twenty years, just bigger. King-size. So that's what you call it when you get this fat. Ken's old Pop had one. He said he loved it, that he could be in there and you wouldn't even know Ethel was in the room. I've heard Ken tell that about a hundred times and it's still not funny. But here we are. Today's job is to whitewash the thing. I ain't havin' no orange furniture. It's way too big for the room but I don't care. And there's a whole lot of other funny stuff you could say that I'm not gonna. Have a nice day and try to stay warm!





No comments:

Post a Comment