Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Merry, Merry Christmas

"I am enough!" The mantra of the century. I do not agree with it. At all. On no level am I enough. I think I understand what people are trying to say when they chant this one, though -- what they're really saying is: I'm good enough; I don't need anyone else to affirm my sufficiency; I don't need to try harder to please you; because I'm who I am and that's okay. All that stuff. 

I still don't agree.

We are all an amalgam of many other people. Even our DNA is intricately made up of pieces of our ancestors, brought into fruition in one person. Exquisitely and beautifully made, mysteriously wrought in the bowels of the earth. Our bodies, minds and souls are virtual miracles of creation, precious and priceless. There is no earthly treasure that rivals it. Here we are on this spinning orb, woven carefully into the ecosystem. Plants, animals and glaciers consort together to keep the balance. One thing consumes the other, dies and replenishes the earth, and round and round it goes. If we consider the impossibility of the spark of life itself, we will see the face of God. 

Throughout this fine dance, no man is an island. The warp and woof of our existence requires give and take, interdependence on both the planet and mankind. We need our ancestors, our parents, just to get here. Then we need one another in order to work, to plow, to plant, to weed and to obtain our food. If we can quit striving to be the kings of the world, and see our fellow man as our compatriots rather than our opposition, we could also find far more peace on earth. To stop and be grateful throughout our day: to thank those who feed us, who clothe us, who provide our trash removal, our mail delivery, those who birthed us and raised us, those who put their lives on the line at home and abroad -- and so many more. 

I am not enough. I am here and sustained thanks to the energies and efforts of so many. But especially I am dependent on the God of heaven who designed and placed me here. It's sometimes hard to remember that my purposes extend beyond my own nose. This year, let us look across our own fields and thank all of those that benefit and make it possible for us to live. And look to the Christ child, the great Redeemer, who makes it possible for us to live forever. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment