Sunday, August 20, 2017

Forks and Knives and Other Tools

I ran far away from him, all those many years ago. I got lucky, when the spirit of the Lord compelled me to run. Tonight, as I saw the empty eyes of the one that he caught and the children that he begot, another wave of thankfulness wafted up. Many nights, over these thirty-five years, I have woken up in a panic from a dream that I had married him....feeling over to the other side of my bed to find that I had blessedly not, that the warm form slumbering there was Ken, protector of my heart and soul. This cracked earth, we traverse together. Seasons of life and light vary with those of death and darkness. The sea ebbs and flows, joy, sorrow, love, madness. How unbelievable was my kismet, how I got to love this man and he actually loved me. How I almost messed up, how I almost was sold into a slavery of sorts. When you're young you have no idea the harvest that comes from small seeds, good and bad ones. All these years later, I sense the plenteous crop about me. There are tares in the wheat, always, but the wheat flourishes and ripens. I know that what we have is beyond our own effort. It is God's fruit borne of that which is mysterious.

I tucked my tail and ran away, ran home to Daddy and Mama, the hot breath of the devil breathing down my neck. I rushed through thick fog, feet of mud, lake of tar, 'til I found my wings beating, slowly at first. So slowly, but then leaving behind the earth to find the sky. It's been a long time now. Funny how I remember those days, how the pungent emotions of youth still resonate. The tape recorder of time rewinds, and the events where I chose one road over the other would forever change my life. God intervened in my foolishness. He protected me and brought me to sanctuary, despite myself. Mercies of God in the forks in the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment