Sunday, April 30, 2017

Midnight Train in Georgia

There are so many things that pull at me. So much to do. So many obligations, needs, wants, and then there's all the distractions in between. Plus the corners are mighty dusty. 
This week was absolutely dizzying, with work and multiple commitments looming. I dashed about from here to yonder, trying to make a semblance of catching up. One night, my sister wisely suggested making a master list (I have plenty of lists, just hadn't made a "master" one). In fifteen minutes, I emptied every worrisome thought out of my brain onto a piece of paper. It sat there like an accusation. I rewrote it onto an index card, this time with priorities in mind. There were things on there that technically could have waited or been cancelled. My friend, Pink, whom I had committed to helping paint her 9-foot-tall bunny (Mr. Adderholt)... An old client, who needed assistance with tax questions that I could have shuttled off to someone else... My nephew's play... That trip to Carrollton with my daughter in love and granddaughter... 

We could go on and on. I still had a distracted week with my phone to my ear and eyes as real estate roared in like a shrieking train. Every night was an adventure when my eyes would pop open at insane hours of the night with my brains firing the next days' directives. I love to whine and complain, it's just the truth. And I hate that. It's a sin! One such night, after the craziest evening ever, with knee pain on top of it, I decided to go on and get up and do some real estate work. It was midnight. Ken woke up with pain too at 2:30 a.m. and needed a heating pad (no smart-aleck comments, ya'll...there was nothing romantic about it). I laid back down. Then some strange dog got up on our porch and started barking at the cats, so Zoe started barking and growling too. At 3:00 a.m! Chased the dog off with Ken's big axe handle that he keeps beside the bed (don't ever try to break into our house. Ken Norton with an axe handle = Thor). We both took some pain killers and laid back down (again). I kept laughing which led to coughing, while trying to keep Ken from waking back up. So this morning when my eyes peeled open, I smiled and thought about the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. "Oh sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, all the earth. Sing to the Lord, bless His name; proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations. His wonders among all peoples." - Psalm 96:1-3. If we don't sing, if we don't laugh, if we don't thank God for all the stuff -- in, out, in-between -- we'll miss the blessings. Praying for eyes to see, even through the crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment