Monday, August 22, 2016

God Speaking

Stress.... we hear about it all the time. There are reams of materials written about it: what to do about it, where to go to get rid of it, what to take, what to breathe and what oils to ingest to make it go away. I have to admit, I wrestle with the sin of worry, which I believe is where most bad stress comes from (there is good stress too). We worry ourselves to the grave. Of late, I've allowed way too many things to worry this overtaxed brain of mine. I wound up at the doctor's office with chest pain and heart-attack-mimicking symptoms. She suggested exercise, hydration, wisdom and yes, anxiety meds.  When I went to the pharmacy and discovered that the prescription would cost $200 I told the tech that, hey, why not just go drink a glass of wine?

I was telling a dear friend of mine (who happens to be a nurse) about my misadventures. She promptly deposited a book at my house that night and gave me a hug. The name of the book? Anxious for Nothing by John MacArthur. I dug into the simple truths there, told with authority. I had a houseful of company coming the next day, but was able to get several chapters under my belt. Midday on Saturday, however, I began to freak out from various and sundry problems that we were facing. My husband stopped me mid-chicken-preparation and told me to go breathe and spend some time with the Lord. I protested but knew that something needed to happen before I caved into a panic attack.  As I was walking through the dining room, my Pandora station wafted sweet words from an old Psalm: "Be still and know that I am God." I sat down and absorbed the peace of it. Opened my Bible to a marker that happened to be stuck at Psalm 46, which begins with "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah..." and then ends with: "Be still and know that I am God..." At the point, I couldn't stop my eyes from spilling over. Unbelievably, I looked up at a little frame sitting on an easel across the room, where the same words spoke out in beautiful calligraphy: "Be still and know that I am God." Three messages, same words, in less than a few minutes. Buckets. The evening ensued, then church on Sunday morning. Sitting in Sunday School, one of our elders did a lesson from Habakkuk, ending with loving words about how to run to Christ, how to trust Him, how to be anxious for nothing. God wasn't content to leave it at that. During the next hour's Scripture reading, our associate pastor gave us a word from them about not fearing, not worrying, about learning to trust God. I was starting to wonder if there were cameras lurking in my brain. With over 200 people in attendance, all with needs, troubles, concerns, I'm sure He had something to say to them too. But He wrapped all that goodness up in a sweet, sugar-spun, personal gift to me that spoke directly to my heart and to my weakness.


Don't tell me there's not a God.

2 comments:

  1. God has used Psalm 46:10 SO many times in my life. At first, it made me anxious because I knew something was about to happen, then I began to rest in the truth that He is in control! I love your sweet words, their truth, your vulnerability in sharing with others...you are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere I recently read a critique of that whole text. In the midst of battle and the cacophony of the world disintegrating, "Be still and know..." It means that much more! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete