Friday, January 8, 2016

If You Give A Mom an Idea...

There's a wonderful children's book that I used to love to read to my kids: "If You Give A Mouse a Cookie." It's real life, where one thing leads to another. With the Keystone Kops world that I live in, it sometimes gets frustrating.

I have a confession to make. It is now January 8 and I still have my Christmas trees up. And my decorations. Worse, my huge plans to get eating healthy included purging my pantry. What you might not know is that my pantry is an entire room in my 115-year old Victorian house. We have dance parties and nurse visits inside there, not to mention a chemistry lab, if you count my kombucha culture that's brewing. So I emptied half of it out onto my island and kitchen chairs. Then I had to get a snack. Then the phone rang and somebody wanted to view a house. Then I had to go see not one, but two of my grandbabies who were hanging out at my daughter-in-law's house in Douglasville. And then there was supper and cleanup, back home and falling asleep in a microsecond. That was just the first day. Now I've pulled out all of the pantry and realized that I didn't need the baker's rack that is taking up space in there. I started hauling it to the bathroom, to put towels on, when my hubs had the seriously bright idea of putting it in the studio so I could store paints and art supplies. But there was a rolling table in the way. Brrrrrrring! Which would work perfectly for our new printer in the study! So we rolled it in there while Ken rearranged the desk and trash can. I pulled paints and supplies out of the studio and realized that I need to move two pieces of furniture around to make everything fit. Now the baker's rack is wedged against all the stuff spilling out of the pantry, nothing's put away and every single room in our house looks like a bomb went off.

I need to run to Sherwin Williams this morning and look at some paint for a friend. Company's coming at 10:00. We have our church small group tonight and I have to find and buy five pounds of wild-caught shrimp before 5:00. Real estate contract stuff to finish up. Open house to plan for next week. There's laundry running out everywhere. I desperately need to plan a healthy menu because Papa got paid today and there's no groceries yet. And no pantry to put them in. And I almost forgot, the Christmas trees are still up. 

So I woke up in the middle of the night, dreaming about murder and shrimp. And oh yeah, butter. Maybe I need a cookie....

No comments:

Post a Comment