Sunday, December 6, 2015

A Moment in Time

I have heard it said that the most important words in any visit or meeting are done in the last few minutes. I believe this might be true. 

With the flurry that is the holidays, there are meetings, parties, visits.... it's a stressful, fun, hectic time. Depression often emerges. We think of our relatives who are no longer here. Poignant times that we can't re-live. Or bad times that we don't want to re-live but can't help but rewind in our mind. Then there's always the weight of finding the money to buy gifts and all the compulsory trinkets (and foods) that go along with the season. And the worst part: syncing schedules with everybody else to actually make an event happen.

One such occurrence transpired this weekend for us -- our Norton family Christmas party. It used to be a simple affair, Christmas day. Everybody brought food and gifts. And my side, the Slates, was always on Christmas Eve. But now there are multiple marriages and grandchildren that have bloomed from the tree. This year we did the Nortons way early, December 5th, so that there might be a possibility of half of us getting there. After much wrangling, it happened. My sister-in-law worked her fingers to the bone to arrange it and get most of the food there. We all arrived in our Ugly Sweaters. There were those few minutes that occur at any party, where there is some awkwardness as we reacquaint and pass around hugs and greetings. Then the food happens and everyone begins to loosen. The presents are opened, children are bouncing gleefully about. Cake and coffee later, people are shedding their sweaters and their inhibitions. The conversations begin to relax, the walls start coming down. We quit caring what anyone else thinks and start being ourselves again. There comes that special moment when joy begins seeping through the room. The place is buzzing with numerous conversations and I sense an overarching sense of gratefulness, a letting go of self and a receiving of each other. Yes, here we are. Warts, spare tires lopping over our belts, wrinkles, love handles, pimples, gray hairs, forgetfulness, babies crying, old and young all mixed together. Wasn't it yesterday that my babies were the ones needing diapers and a nap? And now I'm one of the older ones, needing a minute to readjust my joints when I first stand up. 

We visit heartily for a good while, then suddenly the announcement is made that we have to clean up and leave, because another party is coming behind us. The whole gang whips the place into shape in a few minutes and then we all start hugging and kissing our goodbyes. If there's something to say, you have to say it quick. There's a general consensus of not wanting it to end. It took us a lot of planning, buying, driving, and arranging to make this happen. But in the end, it's actually only a brief window of clarity and warmth that hangs over the group. A summary of all the buzz and tinsel that conspired to get us here. Sometimes in this life, that's all we get. A brief window. 

It's in these times that I try to force my ever-moving mouth closed and look around in awe at those that God put in my life. Savor it. Savor them. Let go of stupid, petty thoughts and hurts. Really hug them, no holding back. Tell them what I would tell them if I never got to see them again. I don't always do that. But I should. 

In the end, much of my running about, my work and livelihood, doesn't produce those kinds of precious moments. But the fact is, I still have to work, try, produce, clean, show up, make or save money somehow...I don't have the option of just coasting or just enjoying. But if I don't stop and relish the moment and the people, stop and listen, stop and love....then all the other things don't mean a thing. Carpe diem. Seize the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment