Thursday, February 21, 2013

Babe, I'll be there sooner than I think.....

Only a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering out loud how wonderful it was that I haven't been sick in a long time. The flu fairies must have heard me. I got sick Monday before last, while I was painting (but of course) and by Tuesday (while I was painting, of course) I was fully-blown sick. It is now a week and a half later and I slept little last night because of all the coughing. 

Yeah, I know.... waaaaaaaah. Get over yourself.  We've all been sick, and I have been sick before. But this time I was more contemplative about it, ha! Ken happened to have taken off work a few days for our anniversary. He spent those days pampering me, bringing me hot soup and movies. Some vacation?!

I thought about people in my life who have really suffered.....struggling with cancer, a dying spouse, the death of a child, dementia. My Mom's good friend Elaine has deteriorated very far into Parkinson's recently. She called me one day, not too long ago, looking for my Mom. Her sentences were fragmented and she couldn't remember enough to make much conversation. My heart broke for her, as she was very dear to me. I used to enjoy getting her sassy opinions on things. She was smart, funny and wry in her observations. That part of her is gone now, but I remember her and hold those memories as precious parts of my life. She is not physically gone yet, but that is not long in coming. Even though her body is failing, her spirit remains and will go to be with the Lord, where she will see it all clearly and know freedom for the first time.

Our bodies just cave in on themselves, eventually. Some people grow old easily and then die gently, but it is highly unusual. When I was younger, I cringed at the hopelessness of it all. It seemed a travesty, to grow old and lose your function and dignity. People have fought it from the beginning of time. In this day, we cling to the fountain of youth like it's the gross national product. Well, I guess it is.

My body is aging, faster than it would naturally, because I am often bad to it. I eat the cheese instead of the green stuff. I throw caution to the wind way too often. Either way, I am aging. I feel the bones groaning, the elasticity fading. Sometimes getting out of a chair is plain embarrassing. 

The world is tainted with sin's fallout. My body is tainted with the same. But I pray that I will not be sorrowful for lost youth. I don't want to gaze back too much. Glance back, yes, be thankful, yes.... but continue to embrace the present, the moments that God gives me and us to savor while we can, and to look forward to any plans He has for our future. Old Dr. Denmark used to say that life is good, even if all you can do is look up to the night sky from a gutter. What a good perspective. Maybe that's why she lived to be 113 years old. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Rose, for the thought provoking words of wisdom.
    I needed to be reminded that there are people in more pain than me & to be grateful for God's blessings & love.
    I love you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are precious, Sonya. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, sorry you were sick for your anniversary. And here we thought you were celebrating! My mom had been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease about ten years before she died. It progressed slowly and never noticeably affected her mentally. But she and my sister and I were aware of the inevitable decline associated with it. That is why I deemed her death by pancreatic cancer a "severe mercy." She lived only about two months after that diagnosis. We were thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not negating your feelings at all--I get them! But your post also made me think of Romans 8--
    18 "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that[h] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

    22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."

    ReplyDelete