There are things that we wrestle with in marriage, even 44 years later. The handsome stud muffin I married plagued with OCD qualities, and I with my ADD tendencies are still those same people, though we've changed and changed some more. They say that women marry a man, expecting him to change, and he never does. And men marry a woman, expecting her to stay the same, and she never does. I think this is somewhat true, though I've seen Ken change for the better and I've probably changed for the worse. People don't usually know each other well, when they first marry. We think we do. My young self would have told you that we were very similar in personality. Nothing could be further from the truth. When we took those personality tests some years later, our scores were as opposite as humanly possible. So how does that work out, over the sea changes that happen in a normal lifetime? And how do you not kill each other, when you are so different? Ask me later. Maybe I'll figure it out. That's the problem with these conundrums. Years ago, someone challenged me to write a book about how wives deal with husbands who have lost their jobs. Sounded good. We'd been through the lion's share of unemployment. I began interviewing women who had also been through it. Got lots of testimonials. Had lots of opinions about it. At the end of things, I was schlumped over my computer and stuck, because I had no real clues as to how to deal with such deep and terrible problems. I knew how I was "supposed" to behave, but there were no pat answers, no list of steps to survive in your marriage when things got bad. We managed to make it through it, but not because we had the magic formula (except, well, God, that....) And maybe things in life are not meant to have some mysterious algorithm when it comes to success. It might be human nature to go looking for things that really aren't there at all. Case in point: there's scripture that says that men are supposed to love their wives. Like, the obvious point of loving their wives. That seems too simple, too common to be the answer to anything. Then there's the admonition to the wife to see to it that she respects her husband. Well, what if he doesn't deserve respect? Or, you don't know my particular husband. God didn't know about him and He obviously didn't know about her. Love. Respect. He didn't say much (or really anything) about the wife seeing to it that she love her husband. Isn't that weird? But I think, in general, loving our husbands isn't the hard part to us women. Respect, however, might be trickier. We see "the way." If he isn't headed there, well, I might have something to say about that. Because us women have a whole lot going on in our finicky brains and we don't naturally agree with how he's leading. If he is. And if he isn't, we demand to know why not. We're complicated. It says to see to it that I respect him, period. I'm not talking about you or your relationship to your husband. I'm not in your family. I'm speaking from these eyes over here on Magnolia Street. And after 44 years, I know that if I find a way to honor and respect that man, his back straightens, his work is better, his eyes get clearer, he often finds the he-man inside him that is stronger, more capable, with more vision. When I pick him to death with my agenda or what he doesn't do or doesn't do well, I find it tears my house down, one puny brick at a time. I saw this with our sons as well. When the right women came along, the nobler parts of them grew and wanted to do better, to be better. Our son-in-law said he felt the same way when our daughter entered his life.
On the flip side, when a woman truly feels loved, seen, cherished, that changes everything too. Some get that from their Daddys and husbands. Some don't. I wish I could fix it all, but I can't.
The world can be a complicated place, but what I do know is: these are ancient truths, mysterious yet straightforward. When you examine them closely, they make so much sense. Who needs the psychiatrist? Just kidding, I'm not going there...
No comments:
Post a Comment