Last day of an extended, much-needed beach stay... I languished in the bed, dreading the end of it. Four-year-old grandson Knox wailed at breakfast "I don't want to leave!" I wailed inside. There are always those feelings, at least for me, when the "last" of anything happens.
I remember the eve of my thirteenth birthday, being terribly distressed about growing up. I know, I know...most kids can't wait to grow up. I thought childhood was the most delightful of fairy gardens and I feared losing the wonder of it. Little did I know of the coming gift of my own children, who would bring the magic of discovery around every corner. Then came the grandchildren, like twinkles in the eye of God.
On the tail of adolescence came my senior year of high school. I could have graduated after fall quarter, but there was no way I'd miss basketball. Or track. Or all the lasts along the way. The last of football, basketball, homecoming, prom, what-have-you. Senioritis is a bad problem for young people. It's a listless, strange season of life where you really don't know where you've been or where you are going. You're standing on the cusp of something. You're probably going to have some sort of fall but you should pray for God to help. And remember what your Mama tole ya... Some make it over, some don't.
Thankfully that isn't generally your swan song, though tenth year class reunions might make you feel like it.
So today, with all the lasts of this particular vacation, I tried to remember that tomorrow we will leave this pause, this brief siesta (though siesta never truly describes anything involving children).
Life is literally like sand running through your hands. I looked at the face of my thirteen-year-old granddaughter and suddenly had the thought of her someday-wedding-day. I remember the first time I held her, like, yesterday. So those nuptials could be next week, the way things are trending.
Tonight, the four oldest hugged and kissed us goodnight while their Mama tucked the baby into bed. These are precious days, days not to be taken for granted. There will come a time when they are impossibly busy, preoccupied with the hurry that overtakes us all. I see lots of young folks talking about intentionality, slowing down, being in the moment. Maybe that will become the new trend, and we will all figure out we better be present while we can.
It's never good to wait until the "last" to savor what is in front of us. I have to work at not living in the past, because the past is easier, it's fuzzier, and it's often not exactly true.
Once again, to quote an old phrase... Carpe diem. Seize the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment