Monday, April 22, 2024

Sunbeams

I got the last-minute chance to go to the beach last week -- my daughter-in-love was texting me during church, making plans and a packing list. Don't tell Pastor David. Ken rushed me home and I threw a bag together while wolfing down tacos from the drive-through. I hot-wheeled in on over to Newnan and we looked for all the world like the Clampetts, with all kinds of flotsam piled on top. I almost didn't go, because I was coughing like an old stovepipe. But the sea air did my lungs and bum knee a heap of good. It was beautiful to see the dolphins and stingrays flinging themselves out of the surf, the soft sand between our toes, the children jumping pell-mell into the frigid water. Thankfully, the pool was heated, so Yaya jumped on in too. Got burnt toasty while I was at it.

We were staying at the place we took our kids for all of their lives -- Laguna Beach Christian Retreat -- but now it has a fancier name, something to do with Cottages or some such. They've painted all the block buildings with beachy, sherbet colors, but you still have to bring your own pillows and bed linens. We have such happy memories of weeks at the beach, with lots and lots of our family and other friends getting their own cottages at the same time. The kids ganged up and played volleyball, basketball, swam, hunted crabs, got sunburned and hung out with cousins and close friends. It was the best of times. Us adults would visit on our front porch (#7 -- we went so often, we thought it was ours), laugh and drink coffee. When the sun went down and supper was over, we'd congregate with more beverages at the old pool. The bigger boys would have contests where they stacked up chairs and dove over them into the water. We did this for nigh-on two decades. Now my adult children are so tall, they don't fit the full-size beds there (6'6", 6'5" and 6'4". Liz makes me the shortest now, at her 5'10"). They prefer places that have king-size beds. But this son, Jesse, and his family decided to go for a few days anyway, and invited me along. Papa had to work, poor thing. I like these arrangements (not Pa working, just the fact that I got to go). 

While granddaughter Eden (11) and I were riding home together, she said, "Yaya, can I say something? I hope that I don't offend you... I've noticed that Nortons, well, they talk a lot." I love the directness of children. If you don't want to know, don't ask. I reminded her that she was a Norton too and we had a good laugh.  She's the eldest grandchild (of 12) and I'm keenly aware that these days of early childhood are fleeting. Kids get busy with all sorts of things and we have these brief windows where they are still somewhat fascinated by their grandparents. I better tighten up. But then, with the recent death of my father-in-law, I was amazed at the sweet stories that his grandchildren told at the funeral. There's an unconditional love that is truly special. Some people don't get grandchildren, it's just a fact. Check around for a family that might need a surrogate Papa or Yaya. There could be no better investment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment