Sunday, March 6, 2016

Calling all Mama Bears

They say that bears really don't want to hurt people....that there are only two reasons they will maul you. #1 -- don't leave your food out, any food at all, or they will tear apart your tent looking for it. #2 -- don't ever, under any circumstances, get between a Mama bear and her cub. Hell hath no fury like a Mama bear who thinks you're going to hurt her baby.

I can relate to that. I was not really aware of this protective phenomenon until our firstborn and I took a walk, not long after he made his entrance into the world. We were happily walking through the neighborhood when an inquisitive dog came up to the stroller and lightly nipped at him. I had always (and still am) an animal lover. But that day, when I thought that this canine might hurt my baby, something new came out of me. I sent the pooch flying with a swift kick to the ribs. I was shocked at this recently-acquired propensity for violence.

I never knew much fear before I had my kids either. Everything changed when they came on the scene. Where there were wolves and noises in the night before, I didn't care nearly as much as when we filled up those cradles with bunny blue eyed babies. It made me lock doors, put on my seat belt, drive more carefully, watch both ways before crossing the street, pay attention to strangers and obsess about what I was putting in my mouth (as it would now be making its way to the stomachs of my children). It opened up a portal to a different world, one that mattered a lot.

I thought homeschoolers were nuts. Didn't they realize that the bus came right to the door? Then I had a child whose brilliant but quirky view of the world might have been squelched by the homogenization of a government classroom. With the addition of several more children who were as unique and rare as snowflakes, I became compelled to home educate them, despite my impetuous and artistic nature. This proved to be the most difficult job I ever faced, though now that it's over I am really grateful we did it. Underneath it all was that Mama bear, hovering and protecting her cubs. 

Then there comes the day when Mama has to begin trusting, letting go, no matter how she schooled her kids or what she's done to protect them. Baby steps, starting with walking and on up to dating and jobs, cars and college, all those trails and roads that can lead to success or disaster. Or both. She can warp them, if she's not careful, through either over-protection or neglect. Two ditches. Once again, life is a balancing act. Most of the time, we're not sure if we are doing the right things. It seemed like our parents just threw us into the water and we learned to swim. Then I remember all the coaching, prodding and life rafts. It's just harder on this side of it, and the world's not so simple now. There's wolves and sirens at every stop. It's only God's grace that can help our children navigate, but then He seems to like using those Mama bears. Watch her roar.

No comments:

Post a Comment